Major Project

23/4/2023 - 9/8/2023 (Week 1 - Week 16)
Nurul Adlina Rizal / 0345429 / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Major Project


JUMPLINKS


INSTRUCTIONS


Major Project

Pre-Production (Week 1 - Week 7)

- Ideation
- Character
- Script
- Storyboard
- Animatic

Ideation

Coming into this project, I had an idea of what story I wanted to create and it was based on one of my old ideas back in foundation. During my Critical and Creative Thinking Skills module, we had to choose a person as our target audience/someone we wanted to help other than ourselves. Someone that we could help solve their issues using Creative Thinking skills. 

My group chose Alex Scott who was a cancer patient who was known by the world for her initiative of setting up a lemonade stand to raise funds for children riddled with cancer just like her. 

Many ideas were being thrown around such as lemonade store outlets, lemonade juice boxes and my own personal idea - a cartoon! All in hopes of helping raise funds for the ALSF (Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation).

Because of this, Lem was born, inspired by Alex who was sick and in need. Lem's character is similar in a way that he is disabled yet continues to keep an optimistic and brave personality so that he can help others who are having trouble. 

Here are some old designs and drafts:

Fig 1.0: All the characters!

Fig 1.1: Lem promoting the Lemonade Brand

Fig 1.2: Old Logo and poster


Now to revamp the idea!

Big Idea
An animated series that celebrates kindness, resilience, and friendship through the adventures of Lem, a disabled lemon-cat hybrid, teaching young viewers the importance of embracing diversity and supporting one another.

We use this idea to inspire other kids to be just like Lem!

Final Output
Other than creating the final short animated video, I wanted to create a Pitch Bible, a 3D Model and a Campaign Poster. Later on, I decided that I wanted the animated short to be the teaser or example of Episode 1 of the show!

Logo

Revamped idea? Revamped Logo! Cartoon logos are very memorable and usually very expressive to display the fun and silly personality of cartoons while implementing the theme of the show. I tried to recreate that by figuring out different type designs as in Figure 1.3. 

Fig 1.3: New Logo 
Fig 1.4: New Logo with Color

Fig 1.5: All logo variations

Figuring out the colour scheme was easy because since Lem's name is in the title, I had to pick a similar colour palette to the character design. 

Characters

Talking about the character design, it also gets revamped because the original design had me worried if it was possible to animate! There were a lot of clothing pieces in the original design that would require a different type of rigging that I was not sure I was ready to learn for this project since I had to cover the basics of rigging in general. 

A big huge change for the characters is that they were no longer just fruit-themed characters, they were also each a fruit-animal hybrid! This is due to Lem's original design face shape having a similar shape to cat ears. So I was thinking of making the characters, even more, cuter and more attractive to kids, I could combine the two ideas of cute animals and fruits! Therefore, each character gets cute animal ears and a tail!

Fig 1.6: Early drafts of the Character Designs

For Lem, since he had a white t-shirt, I changed it to a scarf that shows his easygoing and adventurous personality. 

Fig 1.7: Lem Character Sheet 

Fig 1.8 Lem Character Doodles


For Orange, I kept his collar and glasses. I also put a little stem on his head to show that he's a cute little orange. 

Fig 1.9: Orange Character Sheet

Fig 2.0: Orange Character Doodles


For Peach, I kept the dress and gave her heart-shaped clips to keep her feminine personality.

Fig 2.1: Peach Character Sheet

Fig 2.2: Peach Character Doodles

In the final character sheets, I included the 3D Model that I will elaborate on later regarding the process.

Environment

With a rough idea of the storyline, I drafted up a few designs of places that would exist in Fruitville. I decided on the name Fruitville for the neighbourhood they live in because I imagine different fruit-animal hybrids living there together in harmony. I am very inspired by Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley so I looked up references of colourful yet wholesome environment designs. 

Check out my Pinterest inspirations from character designs to environment designs in the link here:
https://pin.it/7a8n7sQtQ

Some of the environments I need for my story would be:

1. Lem's Home
2. Fruitville's Town Area
3. Field of Grass (Their last destination)

I also drafted Lem's room but it looks better in the production stage when I modelled in a 3D bed for Lem to interact with. This is because I drew every wall of the room separately including the floor to create a 3D space for the bedroom scene. 

Fig 2.3: Lem's Home 

Fig 2.4: Fruitville Town Area

Fig 2.5: The Field

Episode 1 Storyline & Other Episodes

This is something I have already created back in my pre-university year. I wrote down episodes I wanted in the cartoon back then. However, I have changed a few so that the story flows better and is more lighthearted for children to watch. Since the first episode is the one I will be animating for my final output, you can check out Episode 1 Script's here:

Final Script


But if you're interested in the other episodes too, here is a long list of each episode and their synopsis.

Episode 1 – A Sunny Start

Lem wakes up to a bright new day and is surprised by his best friends, Orange and Peach, with a delightful picnic and boat ride in a beautiful meadow. Together, they enjoy a heartwarming adventure that highlights the importance of friendship, kindness, and embracing each other's unique qualities.

Episode 2 - School

Viewers are introduced to Lem's best friends, Orange and Peach. The episode follows their typical school day, showcasing Orange's academic prowess and Peach's artistic talents, while also highlighting their deep bond with Lem.

Episode 3 - Charity

Lem decided to open a lemonade stand and give the profits to charity. Both Peach and Orange support them.

Episode 4 - Tomato

A new family of fruit has moved in and they are being ostracised. Lem befriends the new kid, Tomato (Tom) and helps him from being bullied.

Episode 5 - The Two Kings

Durian and Pineapple run the school and although they were enemies in the past, they are a close pair. Lem finds out why.

Episode 6 - It is Okay to Not Be Okay

Lem has had a difficult day, and he hides being sad about it in front of his friends. Luckily, Orange is observant and knows something is wrong. Peach joins Orange in being Lem's mental support.

Episode 7 - My Ambitions

The main characters and their classmates share their ambitions with the rest of the class and why. Lem realises they want to be someone who helps people.

Episode 8 - Guava

Orange falls in love with Guava and is supported by Lem to confess. When they get closer, he learns that Guava isn't perfect and that she has flaws. Orange learns to accept and love people for who they are.

Episode 9 - Stage Fright

Lem finds Peach practicing singing but she always never performs in front of others. Lem helps Peach overcome the stage fright by letting her sing to them and slowly build her confidence.

Episode 10 - The Loner

Lem finds it difficult to befriend the lonely girl, Grape. He attempts a couple of ways that they always use to become friends with someone until they realise everyone is different and befriend Grape in a new way.

Episode 11 - Someone Like Me

Lem finds someone who is diagnosed with the same sickness as them and they become pen pals. Lem feels less alone.

Episode 12 - Shopping

The three girls (Grape, Peach and Guava) help Tom have a makeover and completely change his look to help him be more confident in himself.

Episode 13 - Famous

Lem's cousin, Lime, comes to visit him. They record videos together and Lime teaches Lem how social media works and how to stay safe browsing on it.

Episode 14 - The Cat

Lem follows a peculiar cat around town. They get into weird situations.

Episode 15 - Love is Love

When both Peach and Lem are suspected to be in love with each other, Lem starts to wonder if their friendship will be affected. Peach comes out and tells the truth about herself.

Episode 16 - Practice

Lemon learns that practising is important in any kind of skill that you want to develop. Lemon learns to play the guitar to help Peach practice.

Episode 17 - Orange and Lem

The backstory of how the two meet and become close best friends.

Episode 18 - Introverts

Grape is annoyed by how suffocating Lem is by following her around. Lem learns how introverts work and gives Grape time alone because introverts need time to recharge.

Episode 19 - Christmas

Lem and their family celebrate Christmas together. Lem receives many gifts from their uncles and aunts. Visits all their friends to exchange presents.

Episode 20 – A Bittersweet Goodbye

Lem prepares to leave Fruitville, packing a suitcase and saying heartfelt goodbyes to everyone they've met along the way. Lem thanks each friend individually, expressing appreciation for the memories and lessons learned. As Lem gives a final wave to the town, they remember their pen pal and wonder if they will meet outside of Fruitville, leaving viewers with a hopeful and touching conclusion to the series.

-------

Even since my pre-university days, I knew I wanted a 20-episode long series or season of this show because of how short I wanted the episodes to be so it could deliver a direct and easy-to-remember message to the audience. 

Script


To talk more about the script, I wanted a good introduction to all the characters and what they mean to each other. Who is Lemon? Who is Orange & Peach? Why are they best friends? What do they do every day? All these questions I wanted to answer in the first episode. I genuinely wish I could do more or even episode some of these episodes to show how much of a friendly and fun-loving person Lem is but maybe that's a project for another time. 

Storyboard

Now time to turn the script into life with drawings!

Fig 2.6: Storyboard Page 1

Fig 2.7: Storyboard Page 2

Fig 2.8: Storyboard Page 3

Fig 2.9: Storyboard Page 4

There are cleaner versions of the storyboard but I decided to put this one in my e-portfolio to show you how I break down the scenes for production. I organize each scene into two things - Character Animation and Environment. This is because these two need to be prepared differently since the Animation will be 3D Animated with 2D Lineless Background. All this technical information you can check out in Week 11 where we have our Proposal and Progress Presentation.

Scene 1
3 Environments 
2 Character Animation
- Lem getting out of bed
- Lem monologue

Scene 2 
1 Environment 
2 Character Animation
- Lem coming out of his house
- Orange and Peach inviting him

Scene 3
1 Environment 
1 Character Animation
- Walking animation

Scene 4
2 Environment 
2 Character Animation
- Lem reaction
- Orange and Peach surprise

Scene 5
1 Environment 
4 Character Animation
- Picnic Time & Lemon Talk
- Orange Talk
- Peach Talk
- Watching the sunset

Animatic

Fig 3.0: Final Animatic


Production (Week 8 - Week 12)

- 3D Modelling
- 3D Texturing
- 3D Rigging
- 3D Animation
- Lighting 
- Rendering

3D Modelling

3D Modelling is not something new to me. So I did not have a hard time getting back to Blender and modelling. However, modelling a character is not something I am good at so I did have some tutorials I followed as guidance. To credit some:

Fig 3.1: 3D Fox Character Modelling by Ksenia Starkova


Other than the character, all the objects modelled in the scenes are from me and what I can make at the time. 

Fig 3.2: Lem Model Base

Fig 3.3: Lem Model Base 2


I started with the base model first since all the main characters should be at the same height and body shape. Then I started adding what each individual character had unique such as their ears, tail and faces. 

Fig 3.4: Orange Model

Fig 3.5: Peach Model

Yes. I had their character sheets and sketches behind them as a reference because I'm not an idiot! A good reference makes a good work! In Fig, is me trying to figure out how to add Peach's dress. 

Fig 3.6: Heart Model

I also wanted to show this heart model because it took me too long to model this. WAY too embarrassingly long. However, all the models turned out fine of course, as you can see in the Character Design section. 

3D Texturing

Not much to talk about this actually. From the 3D modelling guide I watched, I saw that they used environment textures when displaying their model, so I found out this website called Poly Haven.


This is where I downloaded a bunch of environment textures to have good lighting for rendering. This was especially useful for the sunset scene and bedroom scene because they need to have drastically different lighting. 

3D Rigging

And this is where everything went to hell. I'm kidding. Or am I? 

One things for sure, rigging is not easy. I eventually figured out how to do it but to do it three times for each character? It was tedious. Weight paint was also something that was tedious to do. There is probably an easier way to rig three different models in a quick way. While I could learn that, instead I took every rigging session as a way to learn a new thing about rigging such as what corners I could cut and what corners I cannot cut to save time. I definitely learned alot here and would love to try rigging again. I genuinely owe it to these videos and these creators for teaching me about rigging in Blender:

Fig 3.7: 3D Fox Character Rigging by Ksenia Starkova

Fig 3.8: Rig and Animate Character in 10 Minutes by Poly Flo

Fig 3.9: Blender: Rig A Character From Scratch by PIXXO 3D


Thank you to Poly Flo, Ksenia Starkova and PIXXO 3D for all the amazing videos and guides! Both Poly Flow and PIXXO 3D's videos were straight to the point, talked about details to be reminded of and were super helpful. Meanwhile, Ksenia Starkova's videos were the biggest contributions to my understanding of rigging because of their real-time videos which made it easier to follow and study. If you are a fellow beginner to Blender yourself, do check them out!

3D Animation 

Animating was actually a lot of fun! Genuinely, the only boring part was that I had to wait for it to render when I was done with all the animations. A useful thing I learned during animating was how important a good rig is. If the rig is good, the animations that one could do for a character will increase tenfold. This makes the character more expressive and fun which is what Cartoon is all about. I did not manage to record my animation process but it was as tedious as rigging with a bit of fun and joy that it was all coming together. 

Fig 4.0: Walking Scene Screenshot

Here is a screenshot of the walking scene and I exported it with a transparent background so I could animate the background the way I wanted in After Effects. 

Fig 4.1: Lem's Bedroom

Here is what Lem's bedroom looks like, in its 3D form with a modelled bed and bedside table. 

Keyframes for each Scene:

Scene 1

Fig 4.2: Scene 1 3D Animation

Fig 4.3: Scene 1 3D Animation Keyframes

I had to understand how people wake up and sit up to animate this scene. 

Scene 2

Fig 4.4: Scene 2 3D Animation Keyframes

Fig 4.5: Scene 2 3D Animation Keyframes 2

In this Scene, I tried my best to showcase each of the character's personalities. Such as how Peach is always so excited that she jumps around when she talks. 


Scene 3

Fig 4.6: Scene 3 3D Animation Keyframes

For Scene 3, I went back to my roots of 3D Animations which was the classic walk cycle. This was a bit tedious however because I was animating three character's walk cycles. 


Scene 4

Fig 4.7: Scene 4 3D Animation Keyframes

In Scene 4, I was reminded that other characters in the scene that would not be talking, would be looking and reacting at the character that is talking, rather than stare blankly into the camera. 

Scene 5

Fig 4.8: Scene 5 3D Animation Keyframes

This scene holds a special place in my heart. I animated Lem's ears to show how excited he is to spend time with his friends. I animated his humility when thanking his friends which gives him more of a wholesome personality. 

Week 11 - Proposal & Progress Presentation

https://www.canva.com/design/DAGD2vZOC40/_30-IvXd8AgKQlQjSCGNzA/view?utm_content=DAGD2vZOC40&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=editor

Fig 4.9: Major Project Proposal & Progress Presentation

Post-Production (Week 13 - Week 14)

- Compositing
- Editing & Color Correction

Compositing & Editing

I did most of the compositing and editing in After Effects. I did use Premier Pro but it was only for the Animatic. I also did colour correction in After Effects due to some scenes that I rendered out of Blender losing the colour saturation. Moreover, Photoshop is also used to add 2D elements to the video.

Scene 1
Fig 5.0: Scene 1 After Effects Layers

For Scene 1, I layered the intro together, the grass, sky and signage. I animated them separately to give an illusion of the sign appearing as it zooms out. Then, I used the 2D drawing of Lem's home, zooming in to transition to Lem's room where he wakes up. Here it is fully animated Blender and requires minimal editing or color correction. I just had to make sure to sync up the animation with the audio. I also had a cutaway to a closeup of Lem breathing in and out to make the audience feel more connected to the main character. 


Scene 2

Fig 5.1: Scene 2 After Effects Layers

In Scene 2, Lem's scenes were animated in Blender so I only had to color-correct them. Meanwhile, Peach and Orange's scene was animated in Blender as well but I decided to add some tiny grass overlays to make them look a bit more three-dimensional. 

Scene 3 

Fig 5.2: Scene 3 After Effects Layers

Scene 3 was actually one of the scenes that I compiled together and animated first. The scenes compiled in order were Scene 3, Scene 2, Scene 4, Scene 5 then Scene 1. This is from what I thought would be easiest to difficult but funny enough Scene 3 took me the longest because the animation was a bit more tedious. In After Effects, however, I had to animate the background to make it move so it looked like the characters were moving in a scene. I also animated the buildings to pop up one by one like they were in a pop-up storybook. I added grass as an overlay which moves faster than the other objects to make the illusion of a three-dimensional space. 

Scene 4

Fig 5.3: Scene 4 After Effects Layers

In this scene, I made I used Photoshop to animate the sparkles around the field and in Lem's eyes. I also moved Lem's character around in the scene using After Effects. As for Peach and Orange's Scene, they were fully animated in Blender with colour correction on After Effects. I added grass again to add a 3D storybook pop-up book feeling to the scene. In the last part of the picnic, I drew the elements fully with Photoshop and added bokeh lights with After Effects.

Later on, I added a Light Wipe at the beginning to transition the walking scene to the field scene!

Scene 5

Fig 5.4: Scene 5 After Effects Layers

In Scene 5, I added colour correction and cutaways to each character when they were talking which also made the space feel more 3D. Then, I exported the scene of them together with a transparent background so I could manipulate the backgrounds in After Effects such as the sun setting down on them as well as the zoom-in to the closing bit of the video. 

After compiling everything, I also added captions!

Key Shots






Sound Editing

Most of the sound editing was done in Adobe Audition. The background sounds were taken from freesounds.com and the voice actors were hired to help out with the project. 

Here is the list of sounds used to credit the original creators:

As for voice actors, Lem was voiced by my sister, Aireen and the other voices such as the Narrator, Orange and Peach were hired through Fiverr.

Scene 1

Fig 5.5: Scene 1 Sound Editing Layers

In Scene 1, I used a lot of ambient sounds, mattress sounds and steps. I also used breathing sound effects for Lem's breathing. Minimal editing and noise reduction were used for the voice actors' voice. 

Scene 2 

Fig 5.6: Scene 2 Sound Editing Layers

In Scene 2, there were similar ambient noises with walking sounds as well as jumping sounds on the grass for Peach. 


Scene 3

Fig 5.7: Scene 3 Sound Editing Layers

In Scene 3, there were walking sounds for all three characters and ambient sounds of the town.

Scene 4

Fig 5.8: Scene 4 Sound Editing Layers

In Scene 4, there are ambient sounds of a field of flowers alongside sparkling sound effects. Minimal editing was used on the voices.

Scene 5

Fig 5.9: Scene 5 Sound Editing Layers


In Scene 5, there are ambient sounds and some editing for the voices. 

FINAL

Episode 1 - A Sunny Start


Fig 6.0: Lem, the Friendly Lemon - Episode 1 Final

Presentation Deck



MERCHANDISING (Week 15 - Week 16)

Pitch Bible / Art Book



The pitch bible for "Lem, the Friendly Lemon" is a comprehensive guide that outlines the animated series' concept, characters, setting, and episode summaries. It includes detailed character descriptions, the unique and vibrant world of Fruitville, and storyboards and scripts for Episode 1. Designed to provide a clear vision of the series, the pitch bible showcases the creative direction, target audience, and the heartwarming, educational essence of Lem's adventures.

Stickers




The "Lem, the Friendly Lemon" merchandising includes a set of vibrant stickers featuring two distinct designs. One set showcases 3D elements with detailed models of each character, bringing Lem, Orange, and Peach to life. The other set uses fully 2D elements with charming doodles of the main characters, offering a playful and artistic representation perfect for fans of all ages.

Keychain



The "Lem, the Friendly Lemon" keychain merchandise features three charming designs, each showcasing a beloved character from the series. The keychains include a cheerful Lem with his signature leafy hair, a sweet Peach with her heart-shaped clips and pinkish fur, and a thoughtful Orange wearing his red round glasses. These delightful keychains are perfect for fans to carry a piece of their favourite characters wherever they go.

Art Prints




The "Lem, the Friendly Lemon" A6 art prints feature two delightful designs. One print captures the iconic scene of Lem during a picnic, radiating warmth and friendship. The other print showcases the beautiful field of flowers landscape with the cheerful inscription, "Lem was here!" Both designs offer fans a charming and picturesque piece of Lem's world to enjoy.

3D Model

I had to prepare the 3D model to a model that was printable. I made sure that there were no hollow bodies and separated the model into two for easier printing. 




The "Lem, the Friendly Lemon" 3D printed model is a meticulously crafted figurine capturing Lem's unique and cheerful appearance. With detailed features that highlight Lem's lemon-cat hybrid characteristics, including his leafy tail and bright expression, this model brings the beloved character to life, making it a perfect collectible for fans of the series.



FEEDBACKS

Week 2

Mr Kamal said that he liked my idea and wanted us to enter a competition with our idea. 

Week 3

He told me that each of the acts I proposed, should have a conflict. 


Week 7

He said the story and art style is quite simple which is fitting for a kids' show. He told me to start working on the production. 

Week 11

Since it's the day of the Proposal & Progress Presentation, I got a lot of feedback from Mr Kannan and Ms Anis. They told me to showcase in the story how he is a friendly person. They also gave me advice on how to go about animating this such as making 2D planes and doing pose-to-pose animation. 



REFLECTIONS

In conclusion, this project taught me a lot on not only my technical skills such as 3D modelling, rigging and animating but also about who I am as a designer. I learnt what I truly want to achieve as a designer and animator. What type of design and cartoon I'm trying to achieve. I had a wonderful experience, seeing my characters come to life and witnessing my ideas become a reality. My bad experiences stem from my own lack of effort and procrastination. 

As for my observation, I learned that when I'm passionate I tend to do a lot more since I'm in love with my work. I feel that is something I should strive for in the future which is to be in love with my work and join areas that I am interested in so that I could do more of the work that I'm passionate about. Other than that, I observed that I tend to easily be sad on days I don't work and I feel that I still need to balance my work life so that I do not get sad during days I cannot do work because everyone deserves a break. Instead of demotivating me, it should be uplifting me to do more work ahead. 

In the future, I would love to work on storywriting and facial rigging to expand the story of Lem, the Friendly Lemon. 

Moreover, while preparing for the showcase, I rebirthed my love for printing and graphic design which I also am thinking of pursuing as well in the future. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Industrial Training

Minor Project / Haelan Herbs