Design Principles / Project 2

12/10/2021 - 26/10/2021 / Week 8 - Week 10
Nurul Adlina Rizal / 0345429 / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Design Principles
Project 2: Sense of Place 


LECTURES

Week 8: 

Sense of Place

A designer's job is to solve problems with effective visual communication.

Observation: active act of acquiring information through senses.

The Importance of Observation
- attentive to your surroundings and its details
- to be analytical

8 Steps to Improve your Power of Observation

1. Know your subject
2. Slow down and look outside
3. Try something new
4. Improve concentration and remove distractions
5. Challenge yourself to a mental workout
6. Test with playing memory games
7. Record and consider your observations
8. Stay inquisitive 

Sense of Place

- place you are in now, place you had spent some time previously, place that had created lasting memory in you
- how do you express your sense of that place?
- document your observations - photograph, diary, talking to relevant people 
- make a mind map! 

Fig 1.0: A sense of place (17/10/2021)




INSTRUCTIONS


Project 2: Sense of Place

Visual Research

Pinterest Board
Fig 1.1: Project 2 Pinterest Board (17/10/2021)

Inspirations

Fig 1.2: Inspiration #1 (17/10/2021)


This design by irem aysu is one of my inspiration for many reasons. One of them is limited color palette with using turquoise as the emphasis color. 

Fig 1.3: Inspiration #2 by Lisk Feng (17/10/2021)


This became my inspiration because of the feeling this design gives to its viewer. It makes them feel warm, joyful and hopeful just from the colors and the posture of the human figures. 

Fig 1.4: Inspiration #3 by Paul Blow (17/10/2021)


For this inspiration, I like the meaning behind this illustration. It could be interpreted in many ways. It could be about being a source of someone else's work, being connected or it shows how time passes and that we change. I want to have a certain meaning to my design as well so that the viewer can interpret it themselves.

Fig 1.5: Inspiration #4 by Sergio Chaves (25/10/2021)


This is a recent inspiration for me since I started watching videos of people creating concept art for animation landscapes. I really like how they use the digital brushes to create the look of a traditional painting. It also has a good play of light. 

Idea Exploration

Mind Map
Fig 1.6: Mindmap (25/10/2021)

This mindmap was based on the birthday idea.

Sketches
Fig 1.7: Sketches (25/10/2021)

I made three sketches of three different ideas. The first one was my kolej dorm where I celebrated my birthday with my friends. Second one was at a beach in Bali where I was together with my friends and had a fun time just being together during the sunset. Third one is my room with petals flying in to show how I feel peaceful and relaxed when I'm alone in my room. 

Based on my week 9 feedback from Ms Jinchi, I decided to try the kolej room idea because it is also an idea I thought a lot of and it is a place that means a lot to me. 

Fig 1.8: Sketch (25/10/2021)

I made a digitalized Sketch of the Birthday idea.

Drafts

Fig 1.9: Draft #1 (25/10/2021)

I used mainly blues but I feel as though I should use more of warm colors to show the feeling I wanted to convey which was the warmness of celebrating your birthday with your friends when you're miles away from home. I did use warm colors on the cake to show that but it does not feel enough. It does however emphasize the cake in the composition. I put plates to symbolize celebrating with a group of people rather than putting human figures. 

Color References

Fig 2.0: Color Reference (28/10/2021)

The two window images are actually photographs I took in the kolej room so I decided to use them as color inspiration as well. 


Fig 2.1: Draft #2 (28/10/2021)

Fig 2.2: Draft #3 (28/10/2021)

Fig 2.3: Draft #4 (28/10/2021)

Based on the feedback from Week 10, I changed a couple of things such as the perspective and add more lighting. I also tried to add more warm tones in the design. 

Final

Fig 2.4: Project 2 Final in JPEG (29/10/2021)

Fig 2.5: Project 2 Final in PDF (29/10/2021)

RATIONALE

For this project, when I thought of a place it reminded of a place that holds a lot of beautiful memories - it was my kolej dorm in 2019. I shared it with my close friend at the time and it made my 2019 a much more enjoyable year despite the stress of the SPM exam. A memory I cherished the most and want to base the design off is the celebration of my friend and I's birthday. We have close birthdays mine on 16th September and hers on 18th September. We shared a cake that day and all our friends came to celebrate in our dorm since it was the biggest room out of all of our friends' rooms (although it was still quite small). 

In the design, I wanted to share that joyous feeling of being with friends and having them around to celebrate you! It comes of as a little nostalgic with warm colors to display the warm feelings and wholesome moment of the scene. The art style is more of messy brushes with only slight rendering to symbolize me trying to remember this memory despite it still being fuzzy and only the feelings are able to be remembered. With that, the sense of place that I am trying to portray from this design is the visual of the cake and its candle glowing in the small room at night, giving the viewer the feeling of safety and warmness.

The design principles that exist in this design is emphasis and harmony.



FEEDBACKS

Week 8


Specific Feedback: -
General Feedback: -

Week 9


Specific Feedback: Ms Jinchi says that she can see that I have a couple of memorable events / feelings related to a place. She also sees that I am exploring close-ups of the birthday cake and that it is interesting because I can experiment with abstraction and use design principles to express the special memory of the birthday celebration. 

General Feedback: -

Week 10


Specific Feedback: Bring out the joyous feeling. Make a bigger cake, put a candle, stack the plates and use warmer colors. You can make the background dimmer, the additional graphics are distracting.

General Feedback: Play with perspectives to tell a story.


REFLECTIONS

Experience
Despite only having one consultation class, Ms Jinchi was very accomdating and set up a day where we could message her on week 9 for our work in progress. I really enjoyed the ideation and visual research part of this project, I love seeing other artists work of how they illustrate and design spaces. However, there were some parts that I struggled a lot with and I got frustrated because it was a problem I had faced back in Exercise 3 for Harmony. Overall, it was a learning experience that hopefully I'll get better at overcoming them in my future projects!

Observation
I observed that my strength is that I was able to see when I am stuck and take a break. Back then, I would keep pushing on and my design gets worse and worse. When I took that break and did other activities, I was able to think clearly about what I can fix and what I should keep. 

Another thing was my weakness was that I did not properly learn from my past problems and found myself struggling with it again. It was the problem where I could not get color right or express my feelings with color properly. The initial mistake was that I had immediately start drafting with color. Nevertheless, I think it is okay to struggling with the same problems we did before because it means that you'll get better and faster at overcoming them.

Findings
For my findings, I learned about new techniques on how animators draft landscapes and how the start with base colors first before going into the tiny details. It was a cool thing to learn especially since I am interested in doing stuff related to animation. 

Other than that, I learned about abstraction and how to display a sense of feeling of a certain place. 

Lastly is to take a break where break is needed. A good break can help make a great design!


FURTHER READING

The links and video here are provided by Ms Jinchi on Times.


Being More Observant is a Skill You Can Learn; This is How You Do It


PUT DOWN THAT PHONE


Slow down.
- going on little walks 
- swap your mode of transport to something slower so you have more time to think

Take in you surroundings.
- doing something mundane, pay attention and look out for changes
- keep a notebook to remember and write down what you notice

Analyze situations.
- look at simple things like how much input each person gives 
- focus on an individual and work out the reason behind what they said or how they said it

Take notice of people.
- look every time you pass someone
- quickly glance at what they are wearing 
- what does their facial expression say about their mood
- notice changes in your peers which you can then compliment them on

Train your brain. 
- coach your brain

Being observant is a useful skill. Allow you to see snippets of how the future might unfold and boost your creativity exponentially.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project

Industrial Training

Minor Project / Haelan Herbs