3D Modelling / Project 2

31/10/2022 - 7/11/2022 / Week 10 - Week 11
Nurul Adlina Rizal / 0345429 / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
3D Modelling
Project 2


JUMPLINKS



LECTURES

Week 10: Rendering

what you see on screen is called OpenGL rendering.

what you see is what you get.

Render > Realtime / Realtime + GPU (Nvidia RTX) / CPU based rendering (i5, i7 intel)

Image

  • still
  • sequence (animation)

Rendering

  • Render Setting - Global Illumination
  • Material
  • Lighting

Material / Shading

  • give surface appearance
    • Rubber
    • Wood
    • Wool
    • Glass
    • Metal
  • need to be supported by texture image

Texture

UV Texture Coordinate

Texture

  • Procedural
    • image obtained from outside
  • Non - Procedural
    • generated within the software
    • doesn’t require UV

Apply Material

  • whole object
  • by face (specific part)

H is hue

S is saturation

A is for transparency

put color on both base color and viewport display to have the color show in any rendering.

Material Attribute:

  1. Base Color
  2. Roughness
    1. Non-Matte to Matte
      1. controlled by Specular

Subsurface Scattering

  • light can penetrate some part of the object
    • candle
    • skin

Emission

  • light coming from inside the object
  • object can illuminate the object
  • manipulate it using color and emission strength

Alpha

  • Transparency

Setting

  • Material Setting
  • Render Setting
  • Light Setting

3D cursor

to move; shift + right click

to go back to center; shift + c

Cycles

beautiful image + speed 24 fps

Eevee

Speed, tradeoff in image quality, settings need to be upgraded

Workbench

  • model preview
  • animation preview



INSTRUCTIONS


Project 2

For Project 2 we have to create a Themed Scene-Based Modeling which means we have to make a diorama or isometric based on the theme of Sci-Fi, Cyberpunk, Steampunk and Medieval.

I am interested in creating a Sci-Fi themed diorama using some references.

Fig 1.0: Reference 1 (7/11/2022)

Fig 1.1: Reference 2 (7/11/2022)

For the main reference, I used this image:

Fig 1.2: Main Reference (28/11/2022)

Fig 1.3: Sketch on Ref (28/11/2022)

Fig 1.4: Sketch (28/11/2022)

The sketch is very close to the main reference because I wanted to spend more time on the construction of the diorama rather than the design. There were some things that were tweaked and changed to either make it look nicer or to benefit the modelling process. 


Fig 1.5: Process 1 (28/11/2022)

It took me much care to create the exterior of the diorama because the shapes are complicated due to it being sci-fi and futuristic. 

Fig 1.6: Process 2 (28/11/2022)

Added the glowing effect on the light panels.

Fig 1.7: Process 3 (28/11/2022)

Created the interior by adding a bed and kitchen counter. Added details such as drawers. 

Close-ups

Fig 1.8: Project 2 Close-Up 1 (28/11/2022)

Fig 1.9: Project 2 Close-Up 2 (28/11/2022)

Side View

Fig 2.0: Project 2 Side View 1 (28/11/2022)


Fig 2.1: Project 2 Side View 2 (28/11/2022)

Fig 2.2: Project 2 Back View (28/11/2022)

FINAL


Fig 2.3: Project 2 Final (28/11/2022)



REFLECTIONS

Experience

In this module, I had a good experience. I learned more about rendering in Cycle and Eevee for this project. Thankfully, I managed to implement what was taught. Moreover, the experience of creating the diorama itself was enjoyable. While it took me many long hours and focus, I enjoyed that I was slowly creating this tiny futuristic sci-fi room in 3D. I was definitely starting to get used to Blender and its tools. 

Observation

I observed that while sci-fi and futuristic themes may be simple to model in Blender, it means that I have to take great care in symmetry. I had to make sure that all the objects were aligned and that the wireframe was symmetrical. Moreover, I observed that when I got into the groove, I was modelling objects more efficiently. I also believe that I should pay more attention when I crunch because I tend to overlook tiny details. This is important because I had a hard time forgetting to parent certain objects to make my process even more efficient.

Findings

I found that spending time watching tutorials was a good thing when it comes to learning new programs and concepts such as 3D modelling because what I learned was something I could use for my projects and such. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project

Industrial Training

Minor Project / Haelan Herbs