Animation Fundamentals / Project 2

27/10/2022 - 10/11/2022 / Week 9 - Week 11
Nurul Adlina Rizal / 0345429 / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Animation Fundamentals
Exercises


JUMPLINKS



LECTURES

Week 9: Appeal & Clarity

Appeal

- very important from the start

Anything that person like to see:

- a quality of charm
- pleasing design
- simplicity
- communication
- magnetism

From a hero to villain and the ugly, all should have appeal

A weak drawing lacks appeal such as

- complicated or hard to read
- poor design
- clumsy shapes
- awkward moves

Spectator find appealing is

- an expression
- a character
- a movement
- whole story situation

Clarity

Staging

Story > Storyboard > Animatics > Animation Stage

Animation Stage
- storyboard provides pose, action, dialogue, timing and background. 

Character
 
Action
- one idea at a time

Expression

Personality
- story
- movement
    timing - 1 frame, 2 frame, 3 frame, 4 frame
Design - outfit and shape 

Background
- gives mood and feeling
- happy (lighter color)

Camera
1. Angle
2. Framing

ES - Establishing Shot
introduce location
timing (day and night)
introduction, transition

LS - Long shot / Wide shot

FS - full shot 
see action, add head room. 
lead room. 

MS - Medium shot
- dialogue

Cu
- expression 

ECu
- more extreme expression

Secondary Action

- gives extra dimension
- elevate the story 

hair and cape is overlapping and follow through. 

basically, secondary action isn't overlapping, it to further expresses the motion 

example:
primary action: eating burger
secondary action: licking his lips, shaking his head after the bite to show that he enjoys it. 

Exaggeration
- Action (making it broad)
- Expression (more)

Solid Drawing
- Key poses 
to show story, avoid twinning, gives weight and balance

Anticipation
'Antics' 
- for fast actions !

Story
Appeal 
Staging
- using camera, background, character
Action
- anticipation 
- follow through
Secondary Acrion
Exaggeration
Weight and Balance

KEY
(part of the extreme)
(not all extreme is key)
(the most important pose that tell a story)

EXTREMES

(highest point and the lowest point of a motion)

ARC 

(the arc guide from highest to low (or vice versa))

BREAKDOWNS

(in between extremes (on the arc))

SPACING 

(showing slow in and slow out)



INSTRUCTIONS


Project 2

Action Animation

We did class exercises where we analyzed motion from real life actors to learn about the extremes, keyframes and breakdowns of each motion. I chose a dancing motion.

Based on this youtube animation:


Fig 1.0: 6 seconds of the Youtube video


Fig 1.1: Dancing Animation (10/11/2022)

Created in-betweens for the falling and getting back up motion. 

Fig 1.2: Falling (10/11/2022)

Fig 1.3: Getting back up (10/11/2022)

Finished with the Tie Down with only Rae's part. I realised that scene is way more complicated than I thought. The muffin and the friend are both two separate elements animated differently from Rae (the main character that falls in the scene)

Rae Only

Fig 1.4: Tie Down Rae Only

Another difficult aspect of this animation was animating the tray falling and the muffin falling all over around her and on top of her. I tried to animate it as tasteful as I can but only with my limited skill and knowledge. It looks a bit janky but it is the best I can do at the current moment. 

FINAL

In the final, both rough and tie down is compiled. 

Fig 1.5: Project 2 Final Compilation



FEEDBACK

Week 11

General Feedback: -
Specific Feedback: For the falling, lessen the frames to make it look faster. Can add more frames to getting back up.


REFLECTIONS

Experience
It was a difficult experience yet I learned a lot. When observing videos of complex motions like dancing, I had to understand which frames are extremes or breakdowns. It was difficult at first but I feel that the more I practice the more I got better. I am glad I animated the hardest scene in my final project because a huge weight is lifted of me now. I hope that the things I have learned and the mistakes I made in this Project I can use to help me create improved or well made animations for my other scenes in my Final Project.

Observation
I observed that it is a good skill to have being able to point out the extremes and breakdowns of a single motion. Moreover, in my final I observed that I need to work on my spacing and number of frames. I made the mistake of having too many frames which made my motion looked like it happen in slow motion instead of a quick surprising fall. 

Findings
I found that starting an animation can be a bit overwhelming. To create a more easy start to the complex process, I should remember to start with the extremes. From there, I can brainstorm of the in between frames and breakdowns. In this way, I would not feel too overwhelmed and I can work on an animation bit by bit. Usually starting this way puts me into a groove and I cannot stop but it is good to remind yourself to take a break once in awhile especially when animating. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project

Industrial Training

Minor Project / Haelan Herbs