Advanced Animation / Project 1

15/5/2023 - 5/6/2023 / Week 7 - Week 10
Nurul Adlina Rizal / 0345429 / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Advanced Animation
Project 1: Walk Cycle Animation


JUMPLINKS



LECTURES

The Animator's Survival Kit (Walk Cycle)


Fig 1.0: Walk Cycle (4/6/2023)



INSTRUCTIONS

Project 1
Walk Cycle Animation

Vanilla Walk


For Vanilla Walk, I followed what was taught in class and the Animator's Survival Kit. However, I did add drag and follow-through based on what we learned in Animation Fundamental. I added these principles on the wrist and arms. 

Fig 1.1: Vanilla Walk (4/6/2023)

Attitude Walk

Reference

There were many different videos of different types of walking in various emotions but I chose anger because I really wanted to challenge myself. Since Mr. Kamal said that I lack in creating dynamic poses that take great care of the line of action and spine curve, I tried to do anger which I believe has the most dynamic movement and poses. 

Fig 1.2: Attitude Walk Loop Progression by Cuplaser (4/6/2023)


When I followed this video, I did the mistake of assuming each frame was contact, down, pass, and up. It actually looked very different and robotic when I did that. I guess in a way, that process is called blocking. However, when I tried to polish it I dove deep into the graph editor and I came out even more disappointed because I was making it worse. Then, I decided I should look at each pose closely and try to follow what I learned from animation fundamentals as well as the lectures on the Walk Cycle. I realized I needed better spacing from one pose to another. My problem was the spacing was too large for some poses which made it look very robotic and quick. 

Then, I worked on the arms. This time I had to really understand how arms work. They really do work like an appendage. I tried out the action myself in real life to understand that during the attitude walk, the upper arm only sways back and forth and a set distance from the body and the forearm follows the same movement based on whether it is raised up or not. For this attitude walk, I made the arms clenched to express his emotion and his hands raised up as if he is about to burst or punch somebody. 

I do believe there are some parts to tweak but so far I am proud of the progress and polish, especially from the previous draft where it looked awfully robotic and unhuman. 

Fig 1.3: Attitude Walk (4/6/2023)

Final

Fig 1.4: Project 1 Walk Cycle Final (4/6/2023)



FEEDBACKS

Week 11

Specific Feedback: Both are good. For your background, don't have a corner, make one line, indicating the floor so it is not distracting. Use your relaxed hand. On the animation side, it looks okay, just on the Down pose. Your hip should be on the same axis as your support feet.  Look at references. Try shifting your hips left and right. Overall, looks good just minor things. 


REFLECTIONS

For this animation, I had quite a hard time with the Attitude Walk but for the Vanilla Walk, it went smoothly due to Mr Kamal's guidance. While Attitude Walk was hard, a lot of the foundation and the understanding I have of the walk cycle came from it. I understood to work on the legs then the body then the arms. I had difficulty because I worked on all of them at once and it made the process even more complex than it should be. However, it still was a useful lesson to learn so I believe the experience was insightful. In this project, I believe my strengths length in creating dramatic poses and understanding the reference well to replicate it. However, I still believe there are some aspects that I could improve on. I found that there are always more things to learn especially in animation where you could learn to make your process more efficient than it already is. Over time, one will become an efficient animator with so many sets of skills. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project

Industrial Training

Minor Project / Haelan Herbs