Motion Graphics & Compositing / Project 3

1/6/2023 - 15/6/2023 / Week 9 - Week 11 
Nurul Adlina Rizal / 0345429 / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Motion Graphics & Compositing
Project 3 - Channel Identity


JUMPLINKS



LECTURES

Week 9:

Storyboarding


Animatic


Storyboard to Animation



INSTRUCTIONS

Project 3
Channel Identity

Visual Research

Since the company I chose was Sanrio, I had to look at the products they were making to promote my channel identity. I decided I want to promote their cartoon - Hello Kitty and Friends Supercute Adventures which only premieres on Youtube. This leaves me with a lot of references and ideas. 

References/Moodboard

As for my references, I looked at videos of the series on Youtube. 

Here is one of the trailers:

Fig 1.0: Hello Kitty and Friends Supercute Adventures Trailer (17/6/2023)


The trailer is actually their intro and as one can see, it is already done tastefully in promoting and sharing the vibe of their series. I was concerned about what I could do better or what I could add. I decided I could introduce the characters and share their special design elements. For example, Keroppi's pink cheeks, Pompompurin's brown hat, and Kuromi's pink skull. These elements represent them and I wanted to use it as a way to introduce and promote the characters for the series. The idea of introducing characters is from Doki Doki Literature Club's trailer where they introduced all the characters individually. 

Fig 1.1: Doki Doki Literature Club (17/6/2023)

In the video, each character is represented by their colors which is what I want to do with my video as well.

Moreover, here are some visual references I will be using for the channel identity. 

Fig 1.2: Visual References for Project 3 (17/6/2023)

Idea Exploration

Storyboard

Fig 1.3: Project 3 Storyboard in PDF (17/6/2023)


I had two big ideas but I decided to choose this idea. In the storyboard, you can see that it starts with an intro with the title 'Sanrio presents' with some foot tapping. This is because I chose the song before I worked on the storyboard, so I had already imagined how it was going to look beforehand. There is some drumming at the start that I decided to visualize with feet tapping. Then it introduces Keroppi with his face then Pompompurin's hat falls from the sky to reveal him underneath, then waves wash over to showcase Kuromi's popular pink skull getting angry. It is then zoomed in, to the pink background and yellow ribbon which is the signature look of My Melody. The ribbon falls down the screen, falls from the sky (a reference to the trailer and intro of the actual series) then the series' logo appears. 

Keyframing 

Main Composition

Here the pre-compositions are all compiled. The intro, Scene 1 with Keroppi and Pompompurin, Scene 2 with Kuromi and My Melody, and the ending. The song beats are marked so that the transitions and animations are on the beat.

Fig 1.4: Main Composition Keyframes (17/6/2023)

Fig 1.5: Ending Keyframes (17/6/2023)

I animated the ending to the beat of the song. The letter appears based on the last melody of the audio. 


3D Modelling

To create texture and add more visual interest, I wanted some objects to appear in 3D. I 3D-modelled clouds as well as the grass to use for both the intro and ending. I did it in Blender and exported it into PNG to use as the background. I also had to edit the brightness and colors in Photoshop due to how hard it was to control the light in Blender. 

Fig 1.6: 3D Modelling Clouds & Grass in Blender (17/6/2023)


Animating

For this project, I also animated in Photoshop because I needed the intro to be animated similar to the series. I wanted the viewer to have a taste of what the series is like other than just introducing the characters. I have to animate Kuromi and My Melody tapping their feet. 

Fig 1.7: Animating on Photoshop (17/6/2023)

Draft


Fig 1.8: Project 3 Draft (17/6/2023)

Final

Fig 1.9: Project 3 Channel Identity Final (17/6/2023)


Project 3 encompasses Sanrio's values and promotes their animated series, Hello Kitty and Friends Supercute Adventures. It introduces the series' popular characters using 2D and 3D graphics and design elements. The viewer can enjoy a lighthearted joyful feeling when watching the channel identity which will then pique their interest in the series which shares a similar vibe. The project uses all kinds of motion graphics and transitions using After Effects, Photoshop, and even Blender. 



FEEDBACKS

Week 10

Focus on your colors, and add color correction. Look at https://www.impactist.com/ for inspiration.

Week 11

Don't forget to sharpen your vectors, turn on the star icon in After Effects. You could also add sound effects, add bloop, and sparkle noises. Make sure to edit audio in Premiere Pro. 



REFLECTIONS

Since this Project was similar to Project 2, I had the chance to explore more ideas and think about the details in depth. Therefore, I had a good experience. My strength lies in ideation and creating transitions. It also lies in my kinetic typography. However, my weakness is adding textures to create visual interest. Other than that, I had also poorly managed my time for this project. I learned different After Effects techniques and how to integrate 2d animation and 3d elements together. This is a useful skill I can use in the future. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project

Industrial Training

Minor Project / Haelan Herbs