Advanced Typography / Final Compilation and Reflection

28/3/2022 - 27/6/2022 / Week 1 - Week 14
Nurul Adlina Rizal / 0345429 / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Advanced Typography
Final Compilation and Reflection 


INSTRUCTIONS

Links (in red): 

Task 1: Exercises

Task 2: Key Artwork & Collateral

Task 3: Type Exploration and Application


SUBMISSIONS

Task 1: Exercises 

Typographic System

28/3/2022 - 29/4/2022 / Week 1 - Week 5
Hours (estimated): 13 hours

In out first exercise, we have to design layouts based on the 8 typographic systems - Axial, Radial, Dilatational, Random, Grid, Modular, Transitional and Bilateral. 

in JPEG

Axial


Fig 1.0: Axial Final Layout (4/4/2022)


Grid

Fig 1.1: Grid Final Layout (4/4/2022)


Transitional

Fig 1.2: Transitional Final Layout (4/4/2022)


Bilateral

Fig 1.3: Bilateral Final Layout (4/4/2022)

Radial

Fig 1.4: Radial Final Layout (4/4/2022)

Random

Fig 1.5: Random Final Layout (4/4/2022)


Dilatational

Fig 1.6: Dilatational Final Layout (4/4/2022)


Modular 

Fig 1.7: Modular Final Layout (4/4/2022)


in PDF


 
Fig 1.8: All Final Layouts in PDF without grids (4/4/2022)

Fig 1.9: All Final Layouts in PDF with grids (4/4/2022)


Type & Play: Part 1

Finding Type

In this exercise, we were tasked to extract letterforms from images. I chose the image of a white tiger. 

Image

Fig 2.0: Image Chosen for Letter Extraction (27/6/2022)


Refining Process

Fig 2.1: Tiger Typeface Refining Process (25/4/2022)

FINAL


JPEG
Fig 2.2: Final Typeface in JPEG (28/4/2022)


PDF

Fig 2.3: Final Typeface in PDF (28/4/2022)

Type & Play: Part 2

Type & Image

For this task, we had to integrate type into image.

JPEG

Fig 2.4: Final Type & Play Part 2 in JPEG (28/4/2022)

PDF


Fig 2.5: Final Type & Play Part 2 in PDF (28/4/2022)


Task 2: Key Artwork & Collateral

Task 2(A): Key Artwork

2/5/2022 - 31/5/2022 / Week 6 - Week 9
Hours (estimated): 24 hours

We were tasked to make a key artwork using the letters in your own name and create a collateral based on the theme and style of that key artwork.

The letters I am using are d, i, n, a which is the nickname I am usually called - Dina. I wanted to create a new shape from combining two letters, in this instance it is the lower case 'i' and 'n'.

Later on, I crafted the combined 'i' and 'n' more carefully. Making sure of its curvature and made the other letters 'd' and 'a' to be in the similar style. 

Based on the style of the key artwork, I decided that it would be a suitable logo for spas or beauty products. 

When I added color, I decided on blue due to it being a calm color that relates to the spa experience which is calming and relaxing. 


in JPEG

B&W 

Fig 2.6: Final Key Artwork B&W in JPEG (30/5/2022)



Colored

Fig 2.7: Final Key Artwork Colored in JPEG (31/5/2022)


in PDF

Fig 2.8: Final Key Artwork in PDF (31/5/2022)

Task 2(B): Collateral

Poster
JPEG

Fig 2.9: Final Poster with white background in JPEG (31/5/2022)



Fig 3.0: Final Poster in JPEG (31/5/2022)

Simulations

Fig 3.1: Final Poster Simulation 1 in JPEG (31/5/2022)

Fig 3.2: Final Poster Simulation 2 in JPEG (31/5/2022)


PDF

Fig 3.3: Final Poster in PDF (31/5/2022)

Simulations

Fig 3.4: Poster Simulation 1 in PDF (31/5/2022)

Fig 3.5: Poster Simulation 2 in PDF (31/5/2022)

Collateral 

JPEG

Fig 3.6: Collateral Final in JPEG (31/5/2022)

PDF


Fig 3.7: Collateral Final in PDF (31/5/2022)

Animated Invite 

GIF

Fig 3.8: Final Animated Invite GIF (31/5/2022)


Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

30/5/2022 - 23/7/2022 / Week 10 - Week 14
Hours (estimated): 26 hours

For Task 3, we were to create a typeface that either solves a problem or meant to be part of a solution in your area of interest or an exploration of typeface in your area of interest.

As for me, I chose to create a typeface that solves a particular problem. I wanted to create a typeface that uses less ink for receipts and any printed items. 

With that, I came up with:

Inkdot Mono

a monospaced dot-matrix font. 

This is because using circles to create a typeface lessens the surface area of the letterforms which means less ink is used to print out that letterform on paper. My typeface saves ink with the empty spaces between the circles in the letterforms. 

Link to download Inkdot: 

Fig 3.9: Inkdot Font Information (27/6/2022)


Preview the font: 





in JPEG
Fig 4.0: All Letterforms in Inkdot Mono (27/6/2022)


Fig 4.1: Application #1 (27/6/2022)

Fig 4.2: Application #2 (27/6/2022)

Fig 4.3: Application #3 (27/6/2022)

Fig 4.4: Application Compilation (27/6/2022)

in PDF

Fig 4.5: Final Typeface in PDF (27/6/2022)

Fig 4.6: Application of Typeface in PDF (27/6/2022)



REFLECTIONS

Experience

To speak of the module as a whole, the experience was just as similar to my Semester 1 experience of Typography. It was fun yet tiring. I believe this module made me learn a lot about what I am capable of creating and I am always improving throughout the semester in this module. Classes were a good experience despite it being a mix of both physical and online. I do not have a preference of which class or believe either of them is better than the other but physical classes do urge me to work harder. The experience in class were enjoyable especially since I loved looking at other people's work and learning from them as well as seeing their thought process when creating their own font. 

Overall, Advanced Typography was one of my favourite modules and I am glad that there were many things I had learned not only about myself but of course about type design. 

Observation
I observed that type can be expressed in many different ways (based on observing my peers). There are also many ways to design type and that I should work on defining my own style as well as figuring out new techniques to create the typography that I want. 

Observation on classes however were not much rather than feedback sessions feel long even though seeing other's feedbacks may help in your own work. 

To mention my strength, I would say that I am a designer that is true by heart and sticks to the design in hopes that others see my work the way I do. This however can also be a weakness because designers should also be accommodating to the clients' needs. Another strength is that I am consistent and disciplined in my work, I always do them in order and complete work with the submission as stated and needed by my lecturer. I think this is a trait that can help me be a professional designer that is respected not only by peers but by my client. 

As for weakness, I tend to push myself to much to reach my own expectations of how my design should work. As much as it helps in creating a result that I will love, the expense of my health and well-being is too much of a cost. I tend to sacrifice everything to finish my work and I believe that should not be the case since a designer should be able to take a break, socialize, be entertained so that they can be inspired. 


Findings

I learned that having too a high of expectation can bring you down but there is nothing wrong with believing in yourself as long as you know your own capability and work towards the goal you have set yourself even if slowly. 

To strengthen my weakness, I should put myself first before anything else and still make them to do work without the added pressure of not being able to take care of others or myself. My strengths as mentioned is a trait useful as a designer in listening to clients and creating a good work ethic. However, having creative freedom is just as important. 

From Advanced Typography, I was able to learn more about myself, my capabilities as a designer and an in-depth look of type and typography. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project

Industrial Training

Minor Project / Haelan Herbs